Few Top Rated Golf Rangfinders at a Glance:
Best Golf Rangefinder for Tour- Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder
Best latest Golf Rangefinder of Our Time- Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt
Best Golf Rangefinder for the Money- TecTecTec VPRO500
Best Golf Rangefinder with Slope- Bushnell Pro X7 Slope
If you are reading this post, it is sure that you are passionate about golf and you want to improve your skill like a professional, right? Now, here in this long and in-depth post, best 5 golf rangefinders reviews of 2017, we'd guide you to pick the best one for you as per your need, whether you are a veteran or a noob.
Let's dive deep!
9 Top Rated Golf Rangefinders of 2017....
|Rangefinders||USGA Approved?||Maximum Range||Magnification|
|Bushnell Tour Z6||Yes||1300 Yards||6X Magnification||Check Now|
|Nikon COOLSHOT||Yes||550 Yards||6x Magnification||Check Now|
|Bushnell Pro X7||No||1760 Yards||7x Magnification||Check Now|
|Leupold 120464 RX-650||Yes||650 Yards||6x Magnification||Check Now|
|Halo XRT6 Laser Rangefinder||Yes||600 Yards||6x Magnification||Check Now|
|Breaking 80 Golf Rangefinder||Yes||250 Yards||6x Magnification||Check Now|
|Halo X Ray Z6X 600 Laser Range Finder||Yes||600 Yards||6X Magnification||Check Now|
|TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder||Yes||540 Yards||6x Magnification||Check Now|
|Callaway Hybrid Laser Rangefinder||Yes||1000 Yards||6x Magnification||Check Now|
Best 5 Golf Rangefinders Reviews of 2017: Pick Your One Now!
Every professional golf player is well-known about the golf rangefinders. It is practically a GPS system that assists the golf players to determine the distance of certain points at golf course.
These rangefinders can be a standalone device or a software that can be installed on your smart phone that comes with GPS capabilities.
Installing golf rangefinders on your smart phone will be beneficial to detect the distance of the holes on the golf court as the rangefinder map the entire ground to detect the points of the holes.
There are different types of services you can get. You just need to obtain any service and pay the monthly subscription fee according to the service you are getting. With
With the advancement of technology, today several golf rangefinders are also allowing the players to measure the quality of their practice, that means it helps not only to determine the distance of the hole, but also the swing of them.
Well, here in this best 5 golf rangefinder reviews of 2017 article, I would help you how you should choose the right one to improve your professionalism incorporating the latest technology of our time!
Here you go!
1. Bushnell Tour V3 Golf Rangefinder Reviews
One of the most helpful gadgets in golfing is the laser rangefinder. When I was starting my journey in the golf course, I really feel sorry when I can't even hit a single score. But with the help of this gadget, it gave me a lot of confidence every time I go for a game.
I used Bushnell G-Force DX ARC Golf Rangefinder previously, but a cousin once let me tried a Bushnell Tour V3 Golf Rangefinder, and after I have tried it, I also bought one for myself. It's quite expensive than the other brands, but it’s worth it.
It’s a product of JOLT Technology and features ergonomic design. This design gives you a satisfying performance without any complications in operating the device. Definitely, it is one of the toprangefinders in the season.
Features and Specifications: What Make It Great
What I like most of this device is the always-on Pin Seeking mode just like other Bushnell models. This mode helps you lock onto the closest target directly within a line of sight.
The JOLT design provides you a signal of short bursts of vibration to indicate that it's featured Pin Seeker Technology has locked onto the target, giving you easy and comfortable hit.
Such device is always being admired by its ease and goodness at picking and locking out a device. Others may find the JOLT irritating and disturbing, but once get used into it, you won’t be bothered by its sudden burst anymore.
I consider optics as the heart of a golf laser rangefinder. The Bushnell Tour V3 offers us with fantastic optics which I really like. Just like its preceding model Tour V2, this device has a 5x magnification which gives you a clear view of your target up to 5 to 1000 yards.
However, unlike other Bushnell products, v3 is not designed with a “Vivid Display Technology” which gives you difficulty to see clearly things against a dark background.
Just like everyone on the golf course, accuracy is crucial to maintain a good game. Bushnell Tour V3 is accurate, providing you a clear view up to -1 Yard, just almost the same accuracy that other models offer.
What makes this model on edge with others is the name it carries, Bushnell, which often receives positive and satisfying golf ball rangefinder reviews from customers.
Measuring 4.3" x 2.8" x 1.6", the Bushnell Tour v3 JOLT weighs approximately 7.4 ounces without its carry case. This golf laser rangefinder is lightweight and wouldn't give you hassle when you carry it. It comes with carrying case to help you feel more at ease when walking around the course.
The device's body is made with plastic so with its accent. It comes in a cool combination of white and black. The grip rubber helps you not easily to slip your device even when wearing gloves.
It also comes with a zippered case in gray with black and red highlights. Netting at the sides prevents your rangefinder from falling.
The elastic loop attached to your case can be attached to a bag or cart, giving you more ease and comfort while roaming around the course. Bushnell too would like you to take care of your device by just including in your case a small dust cloth for wiping to see to it that your lens is always clean.
Unlike other devices, the Bushnell Tour v3 JOLT has only one button for power which is also used for adjusting settings such as enabling the JOLT feature on or off, or switching between yards and meters.
Though others would find it difficult to manoeuvre because you need to use only one button, it is still considered fuser-friendly for some.
It comes with a 3-volt battery and guarantees longer life when used in your game. Moreover, the battery compartment is well sealed to protect the battery from getting wet or over exposure to sunlight.
- The 5x magnification has poor result compared to units with higher magnification.
- Considered as low end especially on magnifying object.
Commonly Asked Questions about Bushnell Tour V3 Golf Rangefinder
1. How does it differ from its preceding model, V2?
The JOLT Technology gives V3 a more latest and upgraded feature than v2. Other features such as magnification, accuracy, and speed are almost the same.
2. Can you turn off the Volt Technology setting?
Yes, you can. Some users do not need such feature. You can just check the user's guide how to turn it off.
3. My JOLT is not working. How can I fix it?
Try to press and hold the power button for about 8 to 10 seconds. The viewer will display options. If unsuccessful, please refer to user’s guide.
4. Does it have a warranty?
Yes. Just like most products. However, the warranty does not cover user's fault. Malfunctions brought by factory defects are usually given priority.
- Though it is all weather proof, please do not expose your device to too much heat. It might damage mostly on the optics part.
- Keep it to a safe, cool, and dry place.
- Don't allow anyone to operate your device in particular by those who are not familiar with such devices.
- When used after a rainy game, gently wipe every part of your device with a soft, clean and dry cloth.
- Always consult an authorized repair shop if there are problems with your device.
[You may also like to read: Easy Guide to Achieve Perfect Golf Swing]
In a scale of 1 to 10, I can say that Bushnell Tour V3 Golf Rangefinder is on 8. The JOLT Technology which is considered to be its best feature is quite satisfying compared to its preceding model V2. Its performance in lock pinning out targets is amazing. It's as speedy as other rangefinders I have tried.
It gives you a clear display and accurate result. It's 5x magnification would often cause users to consider other models over Bushnell Tour V3 Golf Rangefinder, but you should try this first when you know someone who owns one. It still gives a better performance.
There are sellers who give promo discount. Nevertheless, in purchasing such product, always consider the ease and comfort that it could give you. After all, you’ll always be the one who’ll use the device.
2. Bushnell PRO X7: Rangefinder with Jolt and Slope
When it comes to best golf ball rangefinders, Bushnell has been a leading name in the world of golf. It has been a favorite among golfers since the brand released its flagship model. Other brands have only been trying to meet up with Bushnell and only excelled by adding features the Bushnell did not offer.
Fact is: The Bushnell became a favourite with the release of the Bushnell Pro X7 Jolt Slope Rangefinder in 2014. The Bushnell Pro X7 Jolt Slope Rangefinder is used by 90% of PGA players.
This product is a step up from the Bushnell Pro 1M and offers better features. To give you a sneak peek into all it has got to offer, here is a closer review of the device.
Features and Specification: What Make It Outstanding
Featuring its OLED, the Leupold Gx 4ia2 stands out from other golf rangefinders in terms of displaying results. Its provides the golfer a crystal-like view of the course, and definitely helps you find target faster no matter what type of background they have.
Though there are times that seems to be blinking while viewing the result, such distraction can be attributed to weak batteries.
Who would resist a golf rangefinder with up to 700 yards accuracy? Having a 6x magnification and multi coated lens and enhanced laser, this device extremely gives you a precise result. While Bushnell Bushnell Tour V3 has its Pinseeker Technology, this Leupold Gx 4ia4 could also boast its pin hunting technology that makes every shot hits target.
This is a special feature which are is not found in other high end laser rangefinders. Its unique programming capabilities allows you to set club distances and suggests to golfer which club to use after getting the distance reading.
While the Bushnell Pro x7 has the ability to calculate measurement in hilly and uneven terrains, the Leupold Gx 4ia2 too gives a golfer a chance to view the slope of certain shots, however, not that great compared to the latter.
And to disable such mode (which is considered illegal in tournaments), one can just remove the chip that reads the slope for him to be able to still use the device.
With a dimension of 4.2 x 3.0 x 1.4 inches and weight of 7.9 ounces, the Leupold Gx 4ia2 is extremely handy and won’t give player any uncomfortable moments while using the device. Like most rangefinders, this device has ergonomic design.
You can play golf anytime with any condition as it is designed to be weather-proof. A rugged aluminum body gives you an impression that such device is durable and could be used for heavy duty activities, even in hunting.
Having problems with eyecups? This device might suit your needs as it is designed with adjsutable eyecups to make sure it fit comfortable to any size/shape.
It comes with a CR2 Lithium, which is commonly used by most golf rangefinders. This means that you won’t get headaches if you’ll experience trouble with yout batts, as they are easy to find/purchase.
- With Digital Enhanced Accuracy for faster measurements.
- Compact and handy
- Can be view slope areas
- Can disable slope mode when in tournament
- Multi-coated lens
- 6x Magnification
- Pin hunting technology just like pinSeeking Technology
- Quick set menu
- User friendly
- Expensive than other rangefinders
- Blinking while reading distances can be destructive
Commonly Asked Questions about Leupold Gx-4Ia2 Rangefinder
1. What can be done with the Slope mode during tournament?
Slope editions are discouraged and not allowed in tournaments. With Leupold Gx 4ia2, you can just remove the chip that reads the slope, then you can use it freely in tournaments.
2. The display is blinking at times when viewing targets/objects, what can I do?
You can check the battery because it might be in low power. You can also restart the device.
3. Does it have Pinseeking Mode?
· No, but it do has a pin hunting mode, quite similar to pinseeking but without the JOLT. Pinseeking mode too is quite higher in performance at pinning targets.
The Leupold Gx 4ia2 exhibits commendable performance just like other high end golf rangefinders. It may not be regarded as the best, but its performance if good especially at displaying results because of its OLED.
It may not possess the advance features like Pinseeker and JOLT, it can still perform well in pinning targets because of its Pin Hunting Mode. Overall, in a scale of 1-10 in the design, I can give this device an 8, 8 for special features, 9 for its ease of use, and 8 in accuracy.
3. Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt Rangefinder
Editor Rating :
Need help in choosing your best golf rangefinder? Take a look at this golf rangefinder review so you would have an idea what to pick. As we all know, one of the most important equipment in golf is the rangefinder.
One of the most talked golf laser rangefinder you will find on the golf course today is the Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt.
The device is proudly brought to you by the famous line, Bushnell. So what makes the Tour Z6 Jolt unique from other models? Well, let’s take a closer look on what this device offers.
Features: What Make It Best
PinSeeker with JOLT Technology
Reality is, this feature functions to help you zero in on the flag. No matter your distance from the flag, this feature will be able to lock onto the flag. This amazing feature works hand in hand with a JOLT technology.
When the Pinseeker locates a flag, your device produces a short vibrating pulse and helps you confirm that indeed you have locked into the flag.
Unfortunately, this feature is always enabled in your device, which is why some users may find it annoying.
But hey! Don’t get me wrong! This device when used properly helps you to have a better shot. All you have to do is to focus on an object and the fire its laser for about 8 seconds. Upon release of the fire button, the feature will keep the distance calculated for 8 seconds.
Vivid Display Technology (VDT)
I’m pretty sure that you want to identify actual targets as quickly as you can. Good thing? What you wish is granted through this feature.
What’s more? This is the first golf laser rangefinder from Bushnell with this new feature. One of the things that make it great is the fact that you can use it under any lighting condition. You would also be able to adjust the brightness level of the display.
Fact: You have 4 brightness level/options to choose from. This feature gives all of its display readings in red. This means if you are looking at a point with a dark background, you would be able to read the information easily and quickly.
E.S.P. 2 (Extreme Speed Precision)
Bushnell never fails to give each player its best with this Extreme Speed Precision (ESP 2). Compared to Tour V3 and other hybrid GPS Finders, this device gives you the quickest result.
Looking at its accuracy, this Tour V6 has a lower ranging performance compared to Pro X7, but it still gives a clear result because of its VDT. With this feature you will be able to get displayed distance of 1/10th of a yard even from 5-125 yards.
How can you resist such a marvellous design? This rangefinder comes in a rubber material and a highly durable black case. This allows for better grip of the rangefinder. If you are into the design beauty of these rangefinders, then you will find the Tour Z6 appealing.
Moreover, this rangefinder is designed with white aluminum on both sides of the device. This gives a perfect blend with its textured black casing. To allow you move around with it easily, it comes with a carry pouch. You can easily attach this pouch to your golf bag with the aid of the plastic pouch clips.
The casing is also waterproof. The device has just two buttons on it – a red laser button on top and a mode button on its left side which are definitely easy to use. The Tour Z6 eyepiece has an easily adjustable diopter(+/- 2).
The Tour V6 weighs 7.9 ounces. If you include its carry pouch, then it comes with a weight of 11.6 ounces. This is just the right weight to give a laser range finder the firm fit in your hands. It also has a slim size that makes it fit easily into your bag. All of this makes it very durable.
And though this device has a lower magnification (6x) compared to Pro X7 (7x), it still gives a great view because of this special feature of VDT.
The golf ball rangefinder uses just one 3-volt CR2 battery. You can easily change the battery through a twist cap. This cap is located just below the viewfinder and is uniquely called the Posi-thread™ battery door. You should ensure you change the battery at least once every 6 months.
- The Tour Z6 comes with a whole new display feature for its yardage and PinSeeker feature
- It gives you a full field of view
- The product comes with a warranty of 2 years
- It has a standard E.S.P
- You would have to hold down the fire button firmly to get it to function
- It has some limitations in getting reading while you pan across targets
- The device is a bit pricey for someone on a budget
Commonly Asked Questions about Bushnell Tour Z6
- Does the Bushnell Tour Z6 come with slope adjustment and how well does it compare with the Bushnell V3?
- Unlike some of the other rangefinders, the Tour Z6 doesn’t have the Slope version. While the V3 is an amazing rangefinder, it does not have the Jolt Technology which the Z6 features. This means you would be able to locate your target more quickly and in an accurate manner with the Z6.
• Can I see how far I hit the ball with the Bushnell Tour Z6?
- Yes, you can easily use the Tour Z6 to see how far you hit your ball. The only limitation is that it can only see the ball in a short distance and on level ground.
• Can I use the Tour Z6 actually in foggy conditions?
- This would largely depend on the density of the fog. As the density of the fog increases, the visible range decreases.
• Without crystals, can the rangefinder measure distance accurately?
- Yes, the Tour Z6 can measure any object and give the range.
• Can I wear my glasses when using the Tour Z6?
- Yes, you can. All you need to do is make an adjustment on the eyepiece to suit you.
Not satisfied? Here’s to finally help you decide.
A good rangefinder should be able to provide you with all the features it should possess and a little much more. This is what the Bushnell Tour Z6 offers to golfers. The rangefinder may come at a price that is about $50 above the Tour V2 and may be a bit pricey if you are on a budget. This laser range finder makes it up for this price with its features. If you are looking for a great rangefinder and willing to spend a little more for it, then the Bushnell Tour Z6 is what you should settle for.
4. Nikon Coolshot 40 Golf Laser Rangefinder
Editor Rating :
Do you want to be victorious in your next golf tournament? Every golfer does! There are lots of helpful devices that would assist you in the entire game. Along with your skill, these devices would help you play faster like a professional golfer.
If you're planning to own one, check this all new upgraded powerful USGA-approved range finder brought to you by one of the toughest electronic lines: Nikon!
USGA-approved range finder brought to you by one of the toughest electronic lines: Nikon!
Guess what? Golfers, may it be professional or newbies prefer to use a rangefinder to know clearly how trees, flags, and other hazards are being laid in the golf course. With the help of Nikon, one can actually plan and quickly shift strategies and techniques in whatever golfing situation calls for. The Nikon Coolshot 40 Golf Laser Rangefinder is the newest device exclusively made that best suit your needs and helped you succeed in every game.
Features and Specifications: What Make it Special
It features a high quality 6x monocular high-quality finder and multilayer coating that lets you see bright and clear images even with the gloomy weather. It has a wide field view (75 degrees) that helps you avoid the hazards and allows you to identify everything on the golf course.
It quickly responses to everything on the golf course. Designed with a long eye relief, it lets eyeglasses wearers with easy viewing while maintaining a reliable and accurate view. Its LCD is bright and clearly, displays images. The large viewfinder allows you to scan thorough the course and helps you read results quickly.
According to golfers, one of the essential factors in succeeding in golf is Accuracy. Thus, in purchasing golf laser rangefinder, consider Nikon’s +- 0.75 m/yard measurement display.
Along with this is its 18 mm ocular which is large enough for comfortable viewing in a range of 7.5 m – 590 m / 8 – 650 yard. It's a Hyper Read Technology and guarantees to show measurement result in approximately 0.5 meters per yard.
With a size of 112x70x36 mm, the Nikon 40 Coolshoot Golf Laser Rangefinder offers you a comfortable grip and helps you relax your arms while maintaining a high-quality game.
It has a weight of 160 grams (excluding battery), and it barely distracts you when you need to move from one place to another. It is light and easy to transport. Having a lightweight device while walking around the course for several hours, definitely, won't give you a tiring day.
First Target Priority Mode:
Normally, the course has many kinds of stuff that could be scanned by your range-finder. The Nikon Coolshot 40 is employed with First Target Priority mode that automatically disables signals from other objects. This allows you to focus only on your target. It eliminates disturbances present in the course.
It also features a rechargeable CR2 Lithium Battery (DC 3v) that lasts longer than others. The device helps you save battery life as it has automatically shut off after eight seconds of inactivity.
Ease of Use:
Professional or experienced golfer won't have trouble using a rangefinder as they are used to operating such tool maybe for years even the complicated ones. However, newbies/amateurs might be relying on rangefinder most of the time.
Thus, it is best for them to choose the ones accessible that are easy to operate. This is why Nikon 40 Coolshot is recommended for beginners. The two main buttons that bring up overlay menu are easy to use. It clearly displays functions that are easy to operate.
- It is compacted and lightweight.
- It can easily be slipped in one's pocket when not in used. As there would be times that we want to walk along the golf course without hassles, this Nikon 40 Coolshot would definitely give you a tiring game.
- Has a waterproof design. With a built in JIS/IEC protection class 4 (IPX) equivalents, you won’t spoil a game even when you combat with drizzles.
- It is designed for all weather. It has a wide temperature tolerance from -10 degree Celsius to +50 degree Celsius.
- Rain or shine, you’re still on the track of your game
- It best suits with amateurs/newbies with its easy-to-operate feature. It doesn't give newbies a hard time in operating the two main buttons, so they could focus on their target and enjoy golfing.
- Worthy to own. You'll get the chance to use it legally in tournaments. The device has the permission to be used from USGA, though most pros do not use rangefinder on their games. Nevertheless, it doesn't limit you when the situation calls for.
- Though it is made with the sturdy plastic material, nothing compares to the durability and toughness metal-reinforced rangefinders could offer.
- The price is quite high compared to other rangefinders, but the value and satisfactory performance it offers is worth on every single penny you spend on it.
Commonly Asked Questions about Nikon Coolshot 40 Golf Laser Rangefinder
1. Where can I find an authorize repair stations for my Nikon Rangefinder in the US?
Your rangefinder has sensitive parts, especially on the optic areas. Thus, you should not be bringing your device to unauthorized repair centers. Here's a link for you to get a quality repair and for genuine parts.
2. My device does not update automatically when I move to next destination in the course?
Frequently this happens when you were not able to update the map of your course. Restarting your device could also help.
3. My kid accidentally poured water into my Nikon Coolshot 40.
Your device is waterproof but not for underwater. However, if it is accidentally flooded with liquid, gently wipe the screen to dry. Examine parts with the small opening if there are no liquid stuck on it. If there will be problems with its functions (such as power, adjustment, images, etc.), contact authorized repair stations.
Be sure not to open it on your own. There are pieces of your device which are so sensitive. This will also not be covered under your warranty since this isn't manufacturer's fault.
4. How many hours does my Nikon Coolshot can be used?
It lasts for 15 hours (approximately 15 rounds). It automatically shots off when not in used which could also help you save your battery life.
4 Things Considered in Picking and Testing the Top Rated Golf Rangefinders of Our Time
Yes! The features are always our number one priority in looking for the top rated golf ball rangefinder. Apart from the basic functions it offers such as calculating the distance and pointing out targets, golf ball rangefinders with more advanced technology will always be on the edge from the others such as the JOLT Technology, Vivid Display, magnification up to 7x, and Pinseeker. According to Briam, a rangefinder with those mentioned features would likely be considered as a good rangefinder.
Never miss to consider the following:
Rangefinder is definitely one of the crucial gadgets you need to think a million times when you plan to purchase it. It is very important that you check the features and the type of rangefinder you are planning to buy and of course its size, shape, price, model, and brand. Looking at the size and shape, you need a rangefinder that is lightweight and would be perfect in your palm. Remember that you will be carrying your gadget in the entire game and I’m sure you won’t opt to something bulky and irritating.
Next, take a look on the model and its brand. I know you’ve heard of the best manufacturers of laser golf rangefinders. Do a research in those famous brands and be sure to buy the authentic and right golf rangefinder.
This is what usually people look in laser rangefinder. Golfers want perfection, thus if you want to have tools to assist you in your game, you need to consider the accuracy before purchasing it. Most of the accuracy presented by various models and manufacturers is at half a yard (+/-0.5). Look for this accuracy and of course with your due diligence and capacity, your game will surely be closer to perfection.
The faster the rangefinders reflect and display result, the better. When a rangefinder is slow at providing result, there are chances of delaying games. Some top golf rangefinders have special features on reflecting the fastest result when aiming for targets.
4. Optics and Display
Optics is based on the lens magnification and clarity of image a rangefinder could provide. The overall display factor includes the size of numerical readout, display contrast, and the quality of targeting reticule. Most of the rangefinders are at 6x magnification and are considered great, however, there are rangefinders which offers 7x magnification such as Bushnell Pro X7.
How we come up with Rating Rankings?
To come up with the best review, the following criteria were considered:
Optics and Display: 40%
[Topic may draw your attention: TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder: An Honest Review ]
What are Jolt Technology and Slope Technology?
Essentially, all rangefinders help you measure the distance to the pin. With the continuous upgrading of technology, manufacturers have launched some upgraded and best quality rangefinders with more advanced features that would assist you in coming up with better performance.
One of the popular advanced Tech in rangefinders is the Slope editions. It takes one step further by giving the user an elevation adjusted distances to the hole. Instead of just a straight line, it allows you to measure distances even in uphill or downhill position in terms of yard/meter.
A standard rangefinder provides you with a measurement of the distance to the hole, while with Slope edition; the distance of the elevation is added or subtracted to the measurement, giving you a more accurate result.
The JOLT Technology is enjoyed by most users especially those who are struggling in locking the correct target. With JOLT, there’s always a chance a rangefinder picks up the flagstick even if there are trees and other objects in the course.
Once the golfer aims at the flag, The JOLT Technology automatically provides a short vibrating bursts indicating that the Pinseeker Technology has identified the target and locking it onto the flag.
If your rangefinder has these Jolt and Slope Technologies, then you have one of the best golf rangefinders.
Image courtesy: https://www.amazon.com/
Steps in Using JOLT and Pinseeker
Step 1: Power on the device. Press again the power/fire device longer until it begin to cycle through the available modes of your device:
- JOLT/Yards – displayed as JLT Y
- Yards – displayed as Y
- JOLT/Meters – displayed as JLT M
- Meters – displayed as M
Step 2: Upon choosing your desired mode which is shown in the eyepiece display, release the power button to the particular mode.
Step 3: In case you have not selected the correct mode, wait for the unit to power down and repeat Step 2.
And yes! JOLT and Pin Seeker Technology too has come to age in rangefinders. PinSeeker Technology lets you surely pin your target, giving you the exact distance so you won’t get short with your hole. When a target is pinned, the device would give you a vibrating burst, indicating that your target has been pinned. These settings would be very helpful to every player and makes their game easy and hassle free.
What is the Difference between a Laser and a Non-Laser Golf Rangefinder
Well, rangefinder is necessary if you don’t want to be delayed in your game. Most of the players use this device, and without it, you’ll lose edge from other players.
However, newbies who plan to purchase device are still confused on the difference of performance between laser or non-laser rangefinders, and which one is better.
Let’s take a look!
Non-laser rangefinders refer to Golf Global Positioning Technology (GPS). This functions by downloading the map of your desired course to your device and result is transmitted via satellite.
- If you want to own a gadget within your budget, this device is quite cheaper than laser versions and is easy to use.
- It can give you distance to the middle, back, or front of the course which are even beyond your vision.
- The device itself is cheaper however requires you to spend more when downloading maps of the different courses.
- Maps are for sale through subscription or individually, thus, if you play a lot, then you are likely to spend more on subscription.
- Based on experiences of players who have tried the GPS, it does not guarantee accurate result when the weather is not good.
- The weather might affect the transmission of signal to and from the satellite, and might not give any good result at all.
Golf Laser Rangefinders:
Golf Laser Rangefinders measure distances through emitting laser beams. These devices are like little binoculars in which when one looks through, he/she can measure distance from a position to a target.
- The basic mechanism of laser rangefinder is like pointing and shooting, thus, when you get familiar in operating it, it gives you ease and comfort.
- It helps you save time as it provides you with accurate result in about 0.5 seconds because laser travels so fast.
- It is consistent in measuring distances to the flagstick with little or no error at all.
- It has different modes that enables player to adjust device according to his comfort or course condition.
- It is more expensive than Golf GPS.
- The optics is sensitive thus it requires more care in handling/using such device.
- Some Golf Laser Rangefinders are not permitted to be used in tournaments, thus it is necessary for you to check the device before purchasing it.
Then which one is better?
I go for Laser Rangefinders. It may be quite expensive but worth for the price. Moreover, there are manufacturers who launch cheaper laser rangefinders in a very reasonable price. All you have to do is check carefully the specifications and features a certain rangefinder offers.
What is the Difference between Golf GPS and Golf Laser Rangefinder?
Basically, the Golf GPS and Golf Laser Rangefinder are both great devices helpful to every golfer in improving his/her performance. Both offers accuracy in providing measurement in distance but differs mainly in the ease of use and advances in technology.
In using the Golf GPS, one must load a map of the golf course. One’s position on the course is determined to the pin by a satellite signal. Thus, its ability depends on the quality of the map as well as the clarity of signal provided by the satellite. It only shows distance to travel to the front, middle, and back of the course. Some models too are of sowing hazards.
Though GPS guarantees easy use, it could be more expensive. Every time you play, you need to buy the map of the course or subscribe individually. Thus, if you play a lot to different course, it requires you to spend more on buying of maps too. Further, at times when the weather is not good, it’s not easy to connect to the satellite, giving you an unclear reading, or worst, no results at all.
On the other hand:
The Golf Laser Rangefinders are like little binoculars, where you look through and the unit measures distance from your position to the pin through a laser beam. Laser beam travels so fast that it gives accurate result in about 0.5 seconds.
The device also allows you to calculate the distance to a hazard. And with more advanced technology, manufacturers of Golf Laser Rangefinders continue to upgrade such device, giving users a more convenience and accuracy in their favorite Sports.
The most popular advances include JOLT and PinSeeker: the ability of the device to give signal when a target if found through a bursting vibration; SLOPE editions: allowing player to calculate differences in elevations; improved optics and magnification up to 7x; more light settings to match your lighting conditions; and many others.
To sum it up:
These two gadgets have been very helpful to golfers. If you want to purchase a rangefinder that would help you improve your performance in every game, decide which of these two devices would fit your needs. Always remember, whatever gadgets we may have, it doesn’t guarantee a perfect performance.
These gadgets are just made to help and play the games easier. What you really need as player is to develop your skill, ability, and attitude towards golf.
15 FAQs about Golf Rangefinders
The rangefinder spits out a beam of light. That’s the laser, of course! Then, the clock measures how long it took before that beam bounced off your target and came back.
1. How does golf rangefinders calculate distance?
The laser moves around 300 million meters per second, because the speed of light is constant. It calculates the distance based on three hundred million meters per second and then tells you its calculation.
2. Is there a difference between hunting and golf rangefinders?
Golfing and hunting rangefinders do have some differences. For instance, golf courses usually have the flag in front of any other obstacles. So golf rangefinders will usually go for the nearest target. But since woods are crowded, hunting rangefinders go for the farthest target by default.
However, if you want to use a single one for both hunting and golfing, no problem. It’s possible to buy one that can work for both. Look for one that has both a nearest target and a furthest target mode. It might be a little more expensive, but it’ll save you from having to buy two.
3. Should I use a rangefinder?
It’s up to you! Do you want to stick with tradition? Prefer to keep doing things the way they’ve been done for decades? There’s nothing wrong with that, but if so, a rangefinder probably isn’t worth it.
And if you’re a casual golfer, it might be a bit too much money to spend. If you’re considering it, though, there are some reasons to buy even a cheap golf rangefinder.
Firstly, you should buy a rangefinder if you really want to know what the distance to the flag is. Sure, you can buy books about yardage on a golf course, or find the information online. Some courses also give you yardage marks. All are hard to find, though.
A rangefinder allows you to get distance almost instantly, wherever you are. Plus, it’s the most accurate option. It can also speed up play time, since you don’t have to hunt around looking for distance marks. Finally, it can help you avoid hazards by measuring the distance to them.
4. Is it really worth the price?
Well, that depends on your priorities. If it’s very important to you to know the distance to the flag with speed and accuracy, then yes. If those things aren’t important to you, then don’t. When do they become important?
Well, rangefinders are pieces of equipment for serious golfers. GPS units are cheaper, and because it’s possible to play golf without any distance-finding equipment.
Because of this, rangefinders are something you need only if you are serious golfer. Here are some reasons that a rangefinder might be worth it to you:
- · You have a strong need to know the exact distance to the flag
- You often want to know the distance to hazards
- Your home course isn’t well-mapped on GPS
- You want to speed up your game
- You want to increase your confidence
- You want to take your golf game to a professional level
Any of those could make the purchase worth it. Ultimately, however, only you can decide if you need a rangefinder!
5. How accurate are golf laser rangefinders?
Most makers say that their rangefinders are accurate to within plus or minus one yard. This means that a target 30 yards away might read as 29 or 31, but will not read as 28 or 32.
6. Why do they cost so much?
Golf rangefinders usually have a more accurate type of technology for pin-seeking. With this device, you can more easily pin your target with the laser. That, however, causes them to cost more. Though there are cheap golf rangefinders, it is still on steeper price compared to GPS.
7. Is a GPS or a laser rangefinder better?
Both types have pros and cons. GPS units can be cheaper. Free golfing apps are available for many smartphone platforms. Even watches and GPS units can be purchased for $100 or less. However, GSP units can also only be used if your golf course is mapped.
By contrast, laser rangefinders often exceed the $200 mark. Also, you can only “hit” things you can see with them. But they are more accurate, since they can give you exact distance to the flag. They can also be used anywhere.
Just a tip:
Use a GPS unit if you want something cheap and don’t mind sacrificing accuracy. Use a golf laser rangefinder if you’re willing to pay more money for more precision.
8. Can I make my own rangefinder?
Yes, you can! It’ll take some time and effort, but if you’re committed to DIY you can do it. A mini laser pointer, a webcam, some cardboard, and some coding are everything you need to whip one up. If you’re not much of a techie, it’s a lot trickier, so this is a project for computer buffs.
9. How do I use a monocular one? What about a binocular one?
You’ll use the first a little bit like a telescope. Put it up to your eye, close the other one, and peer through it. The display will have the numbers in most models. For other instructions, such as switching modes, you’ll have to check for each model.
For the rarer binocular version, you’ll use both eyes, just like a pair of binoculars. You can also just buy a pair of rangefinder binoculars!
10. How do I use a golf scope rangefinder?
Scopes are a simpler, cheaper distance method. They don’t use lasers – instead they use geometry. You look into the scope the way you do a telescope. The display has distance lines on it. You line up the flag with the distance lines and calculate from that. It’s more low-tech than a laser, and it’s not quite as accurate. You can’t beat it for price, though.
11. Should I get one with slope calibration?
Rangefinders with slope modes aren’t legal for many tournaments, even if you turn it off. So if you’re planning to play in a tournament, buy one without it. No plans for tournaments, but do play a lot of hilly courses? In that case, you might want one with a slope mode.
12. How does Pinseeker technology work?
Pinseeking technology zeroes in on the nearest object. It can sense the length difference between a lot of far-off objects and a close one. It then locks on the closest one, ignoring the far ones. Since golf courses usually don’t clutter the view to the flag, it gets the pin. If your rangefinder has Pinseeker mode, obviously, it is one of the best golf rangefinders.
13. Are golf rangefinders legal in rounds and competitions? In the PGA tour?
Golf laser rangefinders are not allowed in the PGA tour, ever. Some other tournaments, like USGA ones, allow line-of-sight devices only. Luckily, some rangefinders come with tour-legal modes for ones like that. If you’re just playing rounds of golf for fun, they’re all definitely legal.
14. How do you swing a golf club?
First, you need to stand with your front foot just ahead of the ball. If you’re left-handed, put your right foot ahead. If you’re right-handed, put your left food ahead. Stand close enough to the ball that your arms are straight, but not tense. Be relaxed!
Make sure you’re standing so your feet are lined up with your shoulders to form a nice square. Bend your knees just a little and lean slightly forward. Make sure your weight is evenly on both feet. Your grip on the club should be relaxed.
Finally, you’re ready to start the swing! Keep your front arm straight and lift the club above your head. Swing it out so that your arm is straight and parallel to the ground. Then, follow the swing through to hit the ball.
When you’re about to hit the ball, try to make sure your arm is straight and locked. While you do this, shift your weight from the back foot to the front foot. Let your knees move towards the ball. Don’t take your eye off the ball! Follow through with your swing and soon you’ll be shooting like an expert.
15. What are the top brands of golf rangefinder?
The top five makers of golf rangefinder are Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, Callaway, and TecTecTec. Here is one great example from each company. All models are tournament-legal , and are listed from highest to lowest price.
[Topic you may also like: What are the Health Benefits of Playing Golf]Continue reading...
10 THINGS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING THE YOUR FIRST GOLF RANGEFINDER
Have you ever imagine going golfing without knowing a thing about the course? You might feel lost and don’t know what to do. If you have a good golf Range finder, it won’t happen. You can get all the information you need pressing a button.
Choosing the right club would be a piece of cake. That’s why you HAVE to buy the perfect Golf Rangefinder.
These are the 10 things you need to know to buy a rangefinder. You will make every golfer jealous! Get in your hand everything you need for a perfect game.
1. Distance Coverage: It is a basic feature of Rangefinders. Range coverage changes depending on the target. 350-450 yards for flags is excellent distance coverage.
For bigger objects, a good range should be above 600 yards. The max range of a good rangefinder has to be above 800 yards. Weather conditions influence the coverage so it has a margin of error.
2. Accuracy: It is as important as the distance coverage. Golf rangefinders should have a perfect proportion between range coverage and accuracy. Most brands claim an accuracy of ± 1/2 yard. As the range, it varies with the distance and the weather.
If the target isn’t close the accuracy will decrease. An accuracy of ± 1 yard for distances above 600 yards it’s great. Producers indicate the max accuracy. To know how accuracy changes with the distance find and read many costumers reviews.
3. Size/Weight: In golf game being comfortable to play and move is a must. Your rangefinder needs to be light, compact, easy to carry and store. Most rangefinders have a perfect size and ergonomic design to fit in your hand.
A good weight for a golf Rangefinder is between 6 and 8 ounces. Size varies from product to product; make sure that it’s perfect for you. Everyone is different so remember that the most important thing is your comfort!
4. Zoom: Another thing to consider is the zoom. If there are different objects close it is hard to choose the right target. A good zoom helps to identify objects even if they are close.
The key is to find a great proportion between zoom and distance range. The best Rangefinder models have a zoom over 5x. You need a good zoom to find objects in the course.
5. Features: Rangefinders include many extra options. PinSeeker technology identifies and locks your target accurately. JOLT is a complement that vibrates to reassure you locked the right object. Extreme Speed Precision is a Bushnell feature.
It gives you ultra-accurate measurements. The Vivid Display ensures you can see under every light condition. LCD screen can be helpful to take advantage of other features. Slope adjustment it’s perfect to play on hills or training.
Careful! Features like Slope aren’t approved on tournaments. Rangefinders can show you weather conditions to help you in the game. They can be water or rainproof so you can play every day.
Some Rangefinders come with many installed courses. This can help you play better and faster. Even if all this sounds awesome it isn’t essential. High-tech features increase the price of Rangefinders.
The rule of features: if you don’t need it, don’t get it.
There are a few golf rangefinders that offer great performance even without the presence of other hi-tech features.
6. Ease of Use: Rangefinder makes golf games easier. So keep it simple. A golf Rangefinder with many features makes is hard to use. If you’re getting your first rangefinder, buy one easy for you to use. Find the essential features for your game and buy according to them. If you waste time using your Rangefinder, it isn’t for you.
7. Battery Life: Golf games take time. One charge should be enough for a whole game. Lithium batteries are the most common on Rangefinders. Most Rangefinders include a CR-2 lithium battery which is great. They perform ok at high temperatures but extreme weather conditions reduce their life.
Check the quality of the battery and if it's easy to replace. Rechargeable batteries are a modest option. Pro: they are easy to charge and replace. Cons are that they have low life. You might find yourself with a dead Rangefinder in the middle of your game.
8. Approved by USGA: 10 years ago as articulated in golf digest, rangefinders were approved by the United States Golf Association (USGA) to be used in tournaments, however, these golf ball rangefinders has to be approved by the said organization. USGA might forbid laser rangefinder with advanced features like Slope.
In premium models (Bushnell Tour X or Leupold GX-412) you can disable these options. These rangefinders are expensive but you can use them in different events. Having a flexible golf ball rangefinder is useful but consider if you need these features.
9. Brand: Some brands specialize in golf technology. Compare golf rangefinders with the features you prefer. Bushnell, Leupold or Nikon are famous brands with high-quality products. Non-premium brands can be good but check the features first. The guarantee is essential. Make sure they offer it with the product.
Read rangefinder reviews to find the best brands. It is easier to find reviews of premium brands to be sure the product fits you. Don’t take risk by buying cheap golf rangefinder from unknown brands. You can get lucky but it isn’t worth it risking just by saving some dollars.
10. Price: If several products suit your needs, check the price to decide. Rangefinders are expensive but worth it. You can find great discounts on premium brands. They release products with different features and prices for you to choose.
There rangefinders above $2500 and there are also cheap golf rangefinders under $100 when discounted, or when comes with limited features. A thing to remember: don’t let the golf rangefinder prices decide for you. We all want to save some money but a Rangefinder is an investment. Find the good Rangefinder for you and you will never regret paying for it.
[Also read here:Advantages and Disadvantages of Playing Golf Alone
Advanced and PRO Tips for Finding the Best Golf Rangefinder
Finding the right golf rangefinder to improve your skill is not that easy. It might give you apprehensions, thinking that your choice might be wasted. To give you an idea of finding your “right one”, take a look on these tips:
Manufacturer Matters! There are many companies who have already made a name in golf rangefinders industry. You just have to look for the trusted ones, and that means looking for the top brands.
Manufacturers who gained much positive golf rangefinders reviews suggest that they are producing the best devices thus they have more satisfied customers.
Complex Features means more Uses. Most of us look for something that can be operated simply without complications. However, when it comes to its uses, simple rangefinders could limit you to simple uses too.
A golf ball rangefinder with more features allows you to perform more easy shots as it expands your strategies. Do not worry if it might give you complications in operating it.
All rangefinders come with a user’s guide where everything about your golf buddy is written. Functions could be studied and familiarized especially if used constantly.
For example, rangefinders with Slope could help you deal with uphill or downhill; Jolt Technology and Pin Seeker helps you easily isolate and lock target, and eventually minimize delays in games; or even features with more Light Settings that allows you to still measure distance in different light conditions.
Go with powerful magnification. Having a rangefinder that zooms up to 7x is better than device that could zoom up to only 4x, thus, choosing a high end optics is important.
Choosing with a powerful magnification allows you to have a clearer view of your target. If this type of magnification will be added to a rangefinder with complex features, undoubtedly, you’ll have the best rangefinder.
Those are just some of the complex features but surely give you a satisfying result.
Price versus Performance. If you want to have the best, you should gamble to those with steeper price. Besides, those considered to be expensive are the ones with more advance features than the others. If your budget approves, why settle for mediocre, right?
Assure Service Contracts. Though most of the gadgets are built with most highly durable materials, it is still a must to assure free services (two years the most).
Your rangefinder could be very sensitive. There are also a lot of accredited service centres that would check or fix your device for free.
Search for Mr. Right. Do a research. There are many available resources in the internet where most of the rangefinders’ performances are being discussed.
Gather data and do more range finder comparison. Weigh everything according to your need. Having more information could help us make a wise decision.
Always take time and don’t be such an impulsive buyer. Always get familiar with different types of golf rangefinders whenever you have a chance.
Finally, don’t hesitate to ask other golfers. I’m pretty sure that you have friends and even relatives in the same club. Try to ask them and consider their suggestions when making a decision.
Read here: How to get better at golf
How to Take Care of Your Golf Rangefinder?
You don’t want to lose your favourite golf buddy, right? You’ve invested on it and more importantly, it always gives you an easy and comfy play!
- Your golf ball rangefinder could be very sensitive especially on the part of the optics. Though your device has durable metallic, plastic, or rubberized housing, inside parts could be affected if not cared properly, resulting to a distorted images and performance. The following are some tips of caring your golf buddy:
- Don’t let it fall. Most of the malfunctions our when your device experienced a devastating fall. Though it has a durable housing, the sensitive tools inside would be damaged.
- Clean the Device after using. It would be dusty around the course. Dirt particles are likely to enter in your device. Clean the lens and remove dust deposited in small chambers. Use cotton or other soft fabrics when cleaning the unit.
- Keep it dry. Your device is waterproof, but it doesn’t mean that it could be submersed to water or other liquid for a long period of time. When used during wet season, dry the device after using. Be sure to remove water deposited in chambers.
- Use carrying case. Most of the rangefinders come with a carrying case. Some of which have slings and hook for ease and comfort in carrying. Always use the carrying case to give extra protection of your device.
- Take care of the battery. The battery gives life to your device, thus, it is very important that you give extra care for it. In case the device will not be used for a longer period of time, don’t forget to remove the batteries. Chemicals might be deposited on the battery chamber. When inserting a battery, always put it on the exact position. Do not insert anything on the chamber especially those with moisture.
- Always refer to User’s Guide. Your device always comes with a user’s guide. Everything about your device is written in your golf “bible”, thus, before operating it, read!
- Keep out of reach of children. Your device might be too enticing for children. Always keep your device out of their reach to prevent them from playing it. It might fall, get broken, or worst, poured with liquid. Always keep it in a safe place.
- Consult the doctor. There are authorized service centre for each manufacturer. You can research the internet for nearest locations and contact number. Some authorized technicians are accredited in stores where you have purchased your golf laser rangefinder. Do not fix it on your own. Always consult technicians.
Related Reading: 1. How to Fix Golf Slice
Submit your review